Meadowbank does not meet customer expectations of 21st century sporting facilities nor the requirements specified by Scottish Governing Bodies of Sport for lighting levels, run-offs for courts (to prevent injury) and ceiling heights. In 2008, Council agreed to commission an appraisal for a new build facility at Meadowbank.
The design team has defined the core sport facility mix for a new Meadowbank as follows:
- An outdoor athletics track with seating for 500
- A 3G synthetic or grass sports pitch in the centre of the athletics track
- An additional outdoor 3G synthetic sports pitch
- An indoor 60m 6 lane athletics track with jumps area
- Outdoor throws area
- An eight badminton court sports hall with 500 permanent seats plus bleachers
- A four badminton court sports hall with 500 permanent seating
- Gymnastics hall and gym
- Studios, cafe & meeting rooms, changing facilities
A current feasibility study has concluded to replace Meadowbank – at a total estimated cost of £42m - the funding package would comprise capital receipt from sale of surplus land on site; revenue savings from closure during construction; prudential borrowing funded from forecast improvement in net income and a sportscotland grant.
Utilising these sources the projected funding shortfall is £6.8m. The redevelopment of the sports centre will release development land of approximately 12 acres. It is envisaged that this land can be developed for residential and student accommodation.
The business case for the new Meadowbank demonstrates that after the first year of its operation, the new facility is projected to generate a surplus in each of the following nine years. This business case, which was produced by The Sports Consultancy and reviewed by Edinburgh Leisure, will be regularly reviewed and updated if the project progresses.
The new facility would make a positive impact on the health, well-being and quality of life of those who use it. The facility is currently projected to attract over 600,000 visits per year by the second year of its operation. The current Meadowbank has just over 500,000 visits per year. The surplus land will provide residential and commercial development opportunities.
- Project Name: Provision of a new Meadowbank Sports Centre
- Location Address: London Road, Edinburgh
- Site Size: Development land available (excluding land for new Sports centre) approx 12 acres
- Development Type: Leisure/Residential/Commercial
- Planning Status: No permissions
- Investment Sought: The Council is seeking solutions to bridge the projected funding shortfall of £6.8m
- Completion Date: Anticipated spring 2018
To discover more about the opportunities at Meadowbank Sports Stadium please contact:
Graeme McGartland, Senior Surveyor, City of Edinburgh Council
T: +44 (0) 131 529 5956
If you would like to find out more about how we can help you and your business establish, relocate or expand within the city region, or would simply like more information about what Edinburgh has to offer, get in touch today.
T: +44(0) 131 529 6600 E: email@example.com