The Edinburgh BioQuarter campus brings together 7,000 people based within life sciences companies, at the esteemed Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (a leading teaching hospital offering a full range of acute, surgical and clinical trial capabilities) and in the University of Edinburgh’s medical teaching school and many of its award-winning health and bioinformatics research institutes.
Edinburgh BioQuarter features:
- The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, a 900-bed acute teaching hospital;
- The Royal Hospital for Children and Young People, a 233-bed paediatric hospital (2019);
- The Edinburgh Medical School, a world-class medical school;
- The Queen’s Medical Research Institute, a multidisciplinary research facility;
- The MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine; a stem cell research facility housing 270 scientists and clinicians;
- The Centre for Tissue Repair, a research facility housing over 600 researchers (2020);
- Nine, a 7,900m2 bio-incubator facility home to companies including GSK, RoslinCT, CALCIVIS, Aquila BioMedical, Sirakoss, and Neurocentrx Pharma;
- The BioCubes, two office and laboratory buildings totalling 1,700m2.
Edinburgh BioQuarter offers scope for significant further development of up 230,000m2 space plus 46,000m2 of ancillary space. Work is in progress with c20 hectares serviced and part developed and c20 hectares unserviced.
Existing occupiers include the Centre for Regenerative Medicine and the 7,500m2 first phase Bio-incubator, Nine, which is now fully occupied. The £50m Centre for Tissue Repair is being constructed and will open in 2020, while a new two-storey 1,200m2 commercial building was constructed in early 2018. The Royal Hospital for Children and Young People (offering a full range of acute, surgical and day care services) will also open in 2019.
There are proposals for further University of Edinburgh and NHS facilities on-site. Plus space for significant commercial developments of laboratory and office space, either speculatively or with possible pre-lets, along with ancillary accommodation including a hotel, multi-storey car parking, retail outlets and food and drink.
- A major health and science campus with ancillary mixed-use development.
- Site extends to 40 hectares.
- Supplementary Planning Guidance in place and Planning Permission in Principle secured for Phase 2 and 3 of the masterplan.
- 230,000m2 of life science space plus 46,452m2 of ancillary space.
- £100m+ Equity/Debt/Other.
- Ongoing to 2025.
- Seeking development partner.
To obtain further information about this development, contact:
Alan LOWDON, Edinburgh BioQuarter, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to find out more about how we can help you and your business establish, relocate or expand within the city region, or would simply like more information about what Edinburgh has to offer, get in touch today.